Friday, March 14, 2008

On Fiction

In a previous post, I noted that I need to read more fiction. I think I might need to qualify that statement. I need to read more heartwarming, cheerful, inspirational, funny fiction. I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner). It was amazing, but intense and mostly intensely sad. He's such a good writer that you really get wrapped up in it and I think my mood is affected by it. So I'm looking forward to something a little lighter next.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pest Control by Bill Fitzhugh. Laugh out loud funny. And you learn random facts about insects.

Anonymous said...

Fictional facts?

Anonymous said...

You could try "Water for Elephants." I finished it a couple of weeks ago (just before starting on the Eater's Manifesto). It has definitely got some funny stuff mixed in with the old man forgotten (and forgetting) in the nursing home, the harsh treatment of some characters and the eventual success of an unlikely family.

Anonymous said...

What am I talking about? Have you already read "Dress YOur Family in Corduroy & Denim?" If not, that's your book. And if so, go on back to "Me Talk Pretty One Day." And if you've been there, then go for the hard stuff and read "Naked." Any of them is exactly what you want.