Saturday, March 01, 2008

Standing in line

My dad once told me that instead of looking for the shortest line, he looks for the one with the most interesting people in it (so California, so not New York). I think I'm finally in a ((develop)mental) place in my life where I would agree that this is the best method. However, at the co-op, there's not an option. There's only one line. One terribly long line. But today I got lucky.

I ended up standing in line in front of two very rambunctious and precocious children. And since I didn't have to put them to bed or give them medicine, it was just fun.

Annica and her long-haired, towheaded little brother were shopping with dad this morning. After exclaiming, "Look at all the beautiful vegetables!" (while peering into the freezer case), Annica informed me that "Daddy married mommy, and then we had butterflies."

Seems like the right way to do it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay I think missed the worms part. Do you think children are like worms??

*MP* said...

My mistake! I was going to write about how excited Annica was about my worm farm... but then decided not to or forgot... either way, it was pretty funny when she recounted the worm farm workings to her dad. It's my subversive way of integrating composting into the lives of more people.

Anonymous said...

By the way, the reason for choosing the most interesting people rather than the shortest line is not some "California-laid-backness," it is rather resignation to the fact that whichever line is shortest (unless it is materially shorter for an obvious reason) at the time I get into it will just as likely take the longest to get through for reasons having nothing to do with the number of people in that line (i.e. price checks, no checks, food stamps, machine malfunctions or shift changes, etc.).

*MP* said...

Don't worry, Dad. I don't actually think you're laid back -- just that it would be typical of someone from CA and not of someone from NY.

media concepts said...

Also, the most interesting people in the NY line are usually much scarier than the most interesting people on the CA line.

Anonymous said...

Fear, the last barrier . . . (ok, so sometimes it's the last barrier between you and something that you really ought to avoid).