Friday, January 13, 2006

Santa, baby...

Once upon a time, I was a senior in high school. I was learning about Japanese literature in my AP English class and reading Memoirs of a Geisha. I fell in love. I desperately wanted to learn what a Kanji was and to find out by being there. Then Christmas came along. In my family, we do presents from each other Christmas Eve night and then Santa comes Christmas morning--that's when you get the good stuff. So Christmas Eve night, I open a package with a Lonely Planet guide to Japan. So, of course I'm thinking/hoping/praying that my stocking will bear some even more interesting fruit (like a ticket...). But no. Nothing quite like building up unrealisitic expectations....

Well that is all going to change: I AM GOING TO FREAKING JAPAN IN MARCH!!!

Travelzoo sent me an email yesterday morning with fares from $199 each way... so I sent an email to Jill with the link and "wanna go to Japan?" in the subject line (Laura live there... it's easy). By this afternoon she had purchased tickets for herself and her roommate, so I had to follow suit. The best part is that we will be on the same flight both ways. The only bad thing is that I will have to miss the first concert of the Spring because it is on the night that my flight leaves. I think I'll live. I can't wait to be among the ranks of those who have visited Laura in Japan. My life will be one step closer to complete. Now I just need to visit Leslie in Nicaragua which is supposed to happen this May. Then I can die in peace (or keep living in complete satisfaction).

4 comments:

*MP* said...

By the way, where the hell is Osaka? That's where I will arrive.

Anonymous said...

Apparently, you haven't ever actually opened the Lonely Planet you received for Christmas, eh?

Yay! Chrystina is coming to visit me!!

I will make you eat takoyaki, and tofu donuts, and ramen, and okonomiyaki, and drink chu-hi and nihon-shu. I will teach you how to pray at a shrine and a temple. And I will give you a bike and tell you to get lost in the little streets around my house.

Get ready!

Anonymous said...

I saw that same deal... I was thinking, who could really use this deal?? Ah! Chrystina...guess Jill beat me to it.
It's hard to resist the temptation to go...

Anonymous said...

I mean, I guess you beat me to it.