Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Deconstructing Chicken

I realized recently that I've never cooked a whole chicken all by myself. I'm guessing that this is because I was vegetarian when I might have learned this from my mom, then I went to college where my food was cooked for me (and subsequently made me gain 20 pounds), then I cooked for myself but armed only with vegetarian cookbooks. So I never really figured out how to cook anything other than a boneless breast.

All of this probably explains why I used to think that chicken is kind of like tofu: flavorless and able to take on the flavors of its surroundings. Well, when you leave the bones in, it's a different story.

Tonight, at the direction of my little sister, I roasted an entire 3.22 lb chicken. Only used a bit of butter, salt, and rosemary. And guess what? It's delicious. Flavorful, juicy, and delicious.

I also made a vegetable pot pie with biscuits.

Now I'm tired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ended up making a hilarious pie yesterday too. I was forced to make many alterations from the original recipe:

1) no pie dish--used a copper skillet
2) gluten free--used quinoa flour
3) only 2 cups of cherries---used 2.5 cups of strawberries
4) no quick cooking tapioca--used the big pearl kind soaked in H2O 15 min.
5) no rolling pin for crust--just pressed it with fingers

Somehow, this pie turned out amazing! But, when I bent over it to smell its fresh juicyness I burned my shoulder on the handle of the skillet aka pie dish. OUCH!