Friday, June 13, 2008

Oops-ident

I shouldn't post this here because you'll worry. But you shouldn't.

Today I had a bike accident on a large thoroughfare. I was powering through a yellow light across 6 lanes of traffic (in hindsight not the most brilliant move), when I suddenly saw a car coming at me poised to make a left turn directly in front of me. Brain: "Oh Shit! Oh Shit! Oh Shit!" Body: "Slam on brakes" Bike: "Front brakes are tighter than the back ones." Back tire fishtails and throws me off. I'm lying in the road with my bike next to me. Uninjured. Slightly shell shocked. Lady from the car yells "are you OK?" I said, "Yeah, are you?" She said "yeah". I got up, a little embarrassed. She split. Still made it to work in 30 minutes.

So I went to the bike shop today and got my rear brakes repaired. Much safer.

P.S. Yes, I was wearing a helmet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, to show you how out of it I am, I recently was in a bike shop and noticed that most of the bikes had disk brakes. I mentioned it to the guy working there and he looked at me as if I had just stepped out of a time machine and said "yeah? that's what they have now." He didn't speak it, but I nevertheless got the implication: "old-timer."