Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Farm Bill

Yes, I know it sounds weird and country of me, but PLEASE read about the Farm Bill. It's apparently gaining momentum in the senate and we have a DUTY to be knowledgeable about it. I would summarize it for you, but I'm afraid I'm remiss in my reading of it as well.

Food is something that we can take for granted especially in this country, but it is not to be taken lightly. It is a basic element of our daily lives and therefore critical to our health and well-being. We often blindly eat whatever comes in the box or tray or bag not thinking of where it comes from or what has happened to it on our way to our plates. It's so easy to do that. I do it. But we shouldn't. Not only because of what it could do to us personally in the short or even long term, but what it can do to our shared environment, the people who grow it, the economy, and many, many other systems and players.

So please, read something about the farm bill and see what the senate has in store for us. And then maybe contact your senator and tell her what you think.

No comments: