Sunday, September 18, 2005

Non Sequitur

I saw a new part of the world this weekend--Craigville, MA.

You: So why were you there cg?
Me: I was at a church retreat.
You: But, wait, didn't I see you wearing a robe at a party last weekend?
Me: Maybe...

So anyway, I realize it seems like something no one would ever have guessed that I would do of my own accord--much less pay for. But I did. And it was great. They are a very aware group of people, very activistic, very into social justice. They are not bible beaters. They know how to translate their faith to daily, practical life without trying to convert people to their own belief system in the process (except maybe a vision of peace and justice). They are very respectful of difference. They are intellectual, talented, peacful, spiritual, accepting. It's refreshing. And they let me sing. It's great. How else would I ever get to perform Purcell?

Plus, I got to play in the rain, sing with an amazing song/worship/thought/conversation leader from the Iona Community (John Bell), get to know a variety of people from nearly every living generation, and be in a peaceful place with a beach and wildlife and marshes. Pretty hard to beat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! What's wrong with Bible beaters? I'm praying for your soul.

Anonymous said...

And the Purcell was fantastic, by the way.

*MP* said...

Thanks! (No, I didn't write that myself)