Monday, February 21, 2005

10 Things I learned this weekend

1. The train to NYC is highly superior to the bus, if you don't mind paying for it. Because:
a) There's an electrical outlet for every set of 2 seats.
b) The restroom door doesn't open into someone's lap.
c) Can you say snack car?
d) It's not dependent on traffic so even at the end of a holiday weekend you can get back on time.
e) downside: it's about four times the price of the bus.

2. My dad is awesome (he bought the ticket--see above). (He is stuck in Dallas right now--what a trooper). By the way, I already knew he was awesome; I just thought he deserved the props here.

3. My dad has cool friends with cute kids.

4. My friend Jon has an awesome girlfriend who is an amazing hostess. (I got spa treatment and a chilled mint on my pillow). Jon's a good host too, but I think I know where he gets it.

5. The saffron colored gates are worth the trip.

6. Stiletto heels and snow make an interesting match. (built-in ice picks)

7. The route to JFK does not involve going anywhere near Penn Station when starting from Times Square.

8. It is possible to beat an MIT grad at backgammon, but you have to roll a lot of doubles.

9. The world is a small place. Remember my long-lost friend from a few posts back? Well I met someone on the train who went to his college--in Savannah, GA! How wild is that?

10. Albeit small, the world still has some interesting complexities. This was most recently evidenced to me by the fact that Moroccans do not know where Niger is, despite the fact that the only thing between the two countries is Algeria (and a little obstacle called the Sahara).

No comments: