Monday, June 06, 2005

Syndication

Syndication just means getting a news feed when the blog is updated. You can get this in several ways. There are news readers out there that you can download and then subscribe to different RSS feeds (i.e. if you have a news page, friend's blog, other freq. updated sites) you like to visit, you can add them and get updates without having to check the site. I am not actually familiar with any of these programs so I can't help you.

You can also set up a home page like my.yahoo.com to read it for you. In my yahoo, if you go to Add Content there is a little link beside the Search button that says "add RSS by URL". Click on this, then add the feed's site. In my case (and for most blogger accounts) this is http://touristabostonia.blogspot.com/atom.xml

If you have Firefox, you can get the site's feed as a bookmark, so instead of showing up as a link button, it looks more like a folder that lists recent posts. It's pretty cool (and it updates faster than my yahoo). To do this, go to the site you want to track and look at the bottom right corner of you browser window. If there is a little orange icon there, click on it and choose to subscribe to the site. It will ask you where you want to put it. I'll leave that up to you. I created a folder of blogs on my bookmark bar where I can check them all and I'm pretty pleased with that.

No comments: