Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Balancing Act

Why do people always think it's weird when I tell them I want to meet a guy who turns off the lights when he leaves the room, doesn't use too much shampoo, and puts the recyclables in the recycling bin?

It's not "If Mr.X meets these criteria, then he's a contender." It's "If Mr.X doesn't meet these criteria, he's not a contender--or If he's going to be a contender, then he has to meet these criteria".

In symbolic logic: ~XMC-->~C or C-->XMC.

In other words: Being eco friendly is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition. I seriously should go to law school. I have issues.

It's a screen, not a mold. It's also not like I go around polling guys on how much shampoo they use.

Can you imagine? ..."So would you say that you use a dime size or a quarter size? How many ounces?"...

I just think I couldn't stand being with someone who did things that rub me the wrong way that badly. I also couldn't stand a guy who says things like "between you and I" or "where's your house at?"

Perfection is also scary ... so you know ... a balance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i'm feeling the same way...which would make sense because being sisters we are most like each other than any one else in the universe genetically. Anyway, my first boy i'm living with didn't take the trash or recycling out after i told him THREE times (no seriously) to do it. i felt bad for belittling him, but when i got home i just felt sorry for him because he didn't do it and that just means he's dumb. Poor dumb guy. He keeps trying to throw away recyclables too when recycling is free versus trash that isn't. So not only do we have the environmental incentive to recycle, we have the cheap college kid incentive of free things! Oh well, Chris does what he's supposed to...for the most part.

Anonymous said...

What about conditioner? Is it ok if he uses more conditioner?

*MP* said...

I would have just said "overuses material goods" but "uses too much shampoo" conjures up a much more interesting image. In the case of conditioner, however, I might make an exception since that would make his hair very nice and soft--which I like.