Friday, August 12, 2005

Time Lapse

Maybe I will be able to post from foreign land, but I'm going to doubt it. Despite all the other comforts, apparently high speed Internet is not among the amenities at the resort I'm visiting next week. Oh yes, I will be at a resort. A resort with a swim-up bar.

But for now, I am trapped in sports fan land. Soxfans are really funny to watch on the T. It's a bunch of suburban and often drunk, stoned, and generally unaware people riding a train for the first time. This would be fine except that baseball season is in the summer and drunk people are often also sweaty people.

So with the increased outside temperature, the influx of unaware people, the booze, the kids, and the general angst of all the rest of us, the T can become a place no one ever wants to be--a sardine can overstuffed with sweating, confused, foul-breathed masses. In fact, most daily commuters avoid the greenline like the plague if at all possible on game nights. I forgot to do that tonight.

It's really not surprising that it took me so long to catch on to baseball. First of all, I'm not sure I knew which one was 1st and which was 3rd a few years ago, and I always associated baseball games with a bunch of drunk drivers taking up my streets.

Oh but I love it now. It gives me a subject to discuss with people who have wicked thick Boston accents. That's not why I love it, but I do enjoy improving my Bostonian impression. Unfortunately, you can only do that by listening.

No comments: