Friday, August 19, 2005

Battle of the Sexes, Cancún Style

I never expected to even leave the resort on the Cancún trip. It's not that I didn't want to, it's just that I didn't think that I would convince anyone else it was a good idea. I also thought that my group which consisted of 3 people under 15 and 3 over 40 plus me would be the youngest people there. And there would certainly not be many people my age. As it turns out, there weren't as many blue-haired wobblers as I expected and there were even a few folks within 5 years of my age. So by Tuesday I was in with the hip kids--or at least with the people my age who had been coming to Cancún for 20 years with their families. So, as a tradition (I gathered) we went to Fat Tuesday's on Tuesday.

As we arrived a Battle of the Sexes was just beginning. Six contestants --three men and three women--were involved in a game of musical chairs scavenger hunt. They were asked to find a lighter from someone in the audience... then boxers, a bra, a thong, and a tampon. Guys actually took their pants off to make this happen. They were all about 18 I think. Oh well. I danced all night and most of the morning. My favorite part was the MC's pronunciation of "gentlemen" which he repeated constantly through the night (most of this was conducted in English). He used a 'hard' g sound like the word 'guard'. Otherwise he sounded just like your usual, run-of-the-mill club-running, Estadounidense MC dude.

So what did I learn from this? I learned that the spring break crowd where a girl will flash her boobs to get a t-shirt that won't even fit her really does exist. And drunken 18-year-olds really don't know where they're going, where their friends are, or where their puke just went... like on my feet. Ok, close.

No comments: